Are you worried your questions will offend your counsellor?
Have you ever sat in front of your counsellor with your mind busy with questions but your lips sealed? Have you ever opened your mouth to ask a question but closed it? All because you aren’t sure if your questions are appropriate? Rest assured, counselling is a safe space for honest, open and non judgemental conversation. Here are some questions you can and should ask your counsellors at Happy Minds.
- Can I know more about your credentials and qualifications?
- How long have you been working in this field?
- How many sessions will I need?
- Will others know what I share in here?
- What exactly does counselling entail?
- How long does therapy usually take?
- What is your expertise in treating ‘a specific issue’?
- How will we measure progress?
- Is it okay to feel vulnerable and uncomfortable during sessions?
- What if I dont feel a connection with you?
- How do I apply what we talk about in therapy in my life?
Why is important for us as a client to ask these questions?
- To avoid any future misunderstandings
- Gain further clarification on your end
- Establish a transparent and trustworthy relationship with the counsellor
- To get the most out of your counseling sessions
- To feel more empowered and in control of your own treatment
- To ensure that the counselor understands your needs and goals
- To get more information about the counseling process
Communication Officer at Happy Minds